What to Do After a Work Accident in Lakewood
Your job is your main source of income, and when you cannot work due to an illness or injury you sustained at work, you and your family can suffer financially. Fortunately, if your employer offers worker’s compensation benefits, you may be able to receive a portion of your income on a monthly basis. These benefits can help supplement your income until you are capable of working again.
However, obtaining compensation is not always as easy as most people think. Insurance companies often seek out ways to deny hardworking injured employees the compensation they need and deserve. However, with a skilled attorney on your side, you may be able to get the compensation you have been denied. If you are currently employed, learn more about what to do after a work accident in Lakewood.
Steps to Take After a Work-Related Injury
After sustaining an injury at work, the first thing an employee should do is ask for a worker’s compensation claim form. Legally, employers are required to offer a claim form after learning of an on-the-job injury. Injured employees should make sure they complete a claim form as accurately and extensively as possible, and never leave out any relevant information. Doing so can prevent serious problems in the future.
Immediately following an accident, employees should seek professional medical care, whether they are in pain or not. Many injuries can take days or weeks to cause pain, and if an employee does not seek medical care, the insurance company may attempt to deny their claim.
During a visit to the doctor, injured individuals should be sure to describe their injuries in detail. If they do not, the doctor may infer they are not injured. This can result in a claim denial from the insurance company. If the insurer believes a person is well enough to return to work, they would more than likely deny their claim.
Filing Mistakes to Avoid in a Work Accident Claim
Many injured employees do not know what to do after a work accident in Lakewood. This is understandable, especially considering the process can be a bit confusing, but injured employees must avoid making certain mistakes when filing a claim. Employees must be sure to avoid the following mistakes:
- No matter how they feel at the time, employees should always alert their employer if they think they have been injured at work
- There are strict time limits on filing a claim. Employees should be careful to file on time. If they do not, their claim may be denied
- All necessary supporting paperwork should be submitted with a claim. If an employee does not submit the necessary paperwork the first time, their claim can be delayed or denied
- If a claim is denied, it does not mean the claimant cannot obtain benefits. Injured employees may appeal a denial, but they must follow all the steps correctly
- Hiring an attorney to help may be a wise decision. If their claim is denied, an injured worker may need advice from a lawyer
By keeping the information above in mind, claimants can avoid making costly worker’s compensation mistakes.
Know What to Do After a Work-Related Accident in Lakewood
Knowing what to do after a work accident in Lakewood is relatively simple if you keep the information above in mind. Claim denials can be frustrating, but unfortunately, they are fairly common. Fortunately, an attorney may be able to help you navigate the worker’s compensation claims process. Contact a Lakewood lawyer today if you need to discuss your case with a legal professional. A lawyer could walk you through the claims process and inform you on your eligibility to receive compensation.