COVID-19: Consultations are available by video through Zoom, phone, and in person. Contact us today.
My Lawyer is Amy G!
Colorado Injury Firm

What to Do After a Work Accident in Weld County

Every job, whether inherently dangerous or not, could present risks in the form of injury. Unfortunately for some, these risks become a reality when they get injured or sick at work. From broken bones to terminal illnesses, facing the physical, medical, and financial challenges that stem from a workplace injury could be overwhelming without legal help. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney could guide you through the process and help counsel you on what to do after a work accident in Weld County.

Notifying an Employer of an Injury

All work-related injuries, small or severe, should be reported to the employer. If an injury is serious and is threatening to life or limb, seek emergency medical attention immediately, and report the injury afterward. If medical care is not necessary to prevent serious injury or death, employees should notify their employer of the injury prior to receiving medical attention. According to Colorado Revised Statutes §8-43-404, employers are to provide a list of at least four medical providers from which the employee is able to choose from. Employees may seek to use their own physician but might be responsible for paying the medical bills if they are not on an approved list.

Employees are required by law to notify their employer in writing within four working days of the injury, even if they have already notified them verbally. If employees fail to report the injury within four days, they risk being penalized and could lose upwards of one day’s compensation for each day that goes by without reporting the injury. After being notified, a responsible employer should know what to do after a work accident in Weld County occurs.

Reporting a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Weld County

First, the employer should file an injury report with the insurance company within ten days of the injury. In the event that the employer fails to file the report, employees may file their workers’ compensation claim directly with the Division of Workers’ Compensation. As per Colo. Rev. Stat. §8-43-103, employees have two years to file a claim, or three years if they have a reasonable excuse.

Next, the gravity of the injury, temporary or permanent, would determine how the insurance company responds to the claim. If the injury caused permanent physical impairment, or death, or caused an employee to miss more than three days of work, the insurance company must notify the employee, or their dependents, within 20 days to decide in writing whether the compensation benefits would be paid.

If an employee has not missed more than three days of work due to the injury, the insurance company is not required to come to a written decision and employees should contact the adjuster regarding payments and the status of their claim.

Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney for Advice

If you have been injured or fallen ill while at the workplace, it could be beneficial to seek the guidance of a practiced workers’ compensation attorney. Dealing with your injury or illness is stressful enough. You do not have to struggle with medical providers and insurance companies alone. The legal support of an attorney could lessen the load and provide a less stressful path to your recovery moving forward. Learn more about what to do after a work accident in Weld County by calling today.

map icon map icon
Colorado Springs
712 N Tejon St

Colorado Springs CO 80903
map icon map icon
Main Office (Denver)
3801 E. Florida Ave.
Suite 100

Denver Colorado 80210
map icon map icon
Thornton Office
8515 Pearl St
 Suite 201

Thornton CO 80229
map icon map icon
Denver Second Office
5353 West Dartmouth Avenue
Suite 504-A

Denver CO 80227
map icon map icon
Aurora Office
14111 E. Alameda Ave.
Suite 303

Aurora Colorado 80012