COVID-19: Consultations are available by video through Zoom, phone, and in person. Contact us today.
My Lawyer is Amy G!
Colorado Injury Firm

Englewood Slip and Fall Lawyer

If you recently slipped and fell while visiting someone’s house, at a restaurant, mall, or other premises, you could be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Englewood law requires property owners to uphold a certain legal duty of care to safeguard visitors from reasonably foreseeable injuries, and failure to warn about or resolve property hazards could render the owner liable if someone is injured. An Englewood slip and fall lawyer could help you file a civil claim to recover your damages from a negligent property owner.

A personal injury attorney can advocate on your behalf and work tirelessly to get you the compensation due for pain, suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and other losses from the fall.

Time Window to Get an Englewood Slip and Fall Lawsuit Filed

Englewood Revised Statutes Annotated § 13-80-102 outlines the filing window for personal injury claims, which includes slip and fall claims. The deadline to get a slip and fall claim filed in Englewood is two years from the date that the incident takes place. Compliance with this statute is crucial, as failure to present a timely claim could preclude the claimant from achieving any compensation for their injuries.

Property Owner Liability for an Englewood Slip and Fall Accident

Property owners owe different duties to certain types of visitors who embark upon their premises. If the owner defaulted on their legal duty to the visitor and the person was injured, the owner could be liable. The type of visitor the claimant was when the incident occurred will impact liability for their injuries and their eligibility to recover compensation. An attorney in Englewood could launch an in-depth case investigation to determine liability for someone’s slip and fall injuries.

There are three main kinds of visitors on property under Englewood premises liability law:

  • Trespassers
  • Invitees
  • Licensees

Trespassers are individuals who enter the premises but do not have the owner’s permission to be there. A property owner has a very minimal duty to a trespasser and must only refrain from knowingly injuring them.

A significantly higher duty is owed to invitees and licensees. An invitee is typically someone on the property for commercial purposes, such as a customer at a store. A property owner must safeguard an invitee from property hazards they discover or ought to discover by using reasonable care.

A licensee also has the owner’s consent to be on the premises, but unlike an invitee, a licensee is not there to profit the owner in any way. A property owner has a legal obligation to a licensee to tell them about dangers on the property that they discover and to take reasonable steps to prevent or resolve these hazards.

Shared Liability Laws

There may be situations where the court finds the property owner liable, but also determines that the injured party bears some degree of liability for what happened. Even if the claimant is somewhat at fault for their injuries, they can still recover compensation in some cases.

If someone is 49 percent or less responsible for their slip and fall incident, compensation may still be recoverable, but the court will reduce their compensation based on their percentage of liability. If the claimant is found to be equally liable or more at fault than the property owner, they would not be considered eligible for financial damages. An Englewood slip and fall attorney could help someone better understand the liability laws governing their claim and what impact these rules may have on their ability to achieve financial recovery.

An Englewood Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help Protect Your Rights

An Englewood slip and fall lawyer can represent your interests at each stage of your claim and fight for the full recovery you need and deserve for your losses. If a property owner’s violation of their legal duty was the reason for your injuries, you may have a sound legal basis to pursue monetary damages.

To find out more about filing a lawsuit for compensation, call the office and request your introductory attorney consultation.

map icon map icon
Colorado Springs
712 N Tejon St

Colorado Springs CO 80903
map icon map icon
Main Office (Denver)
3801 E. Florida Ave.
Suite 100

Denver Colorado 80210
map icon map icon
Thornton Office
8515 Pearl St
 Suite 201

Thornton CO 80229
map icon map icon
Denver Second Office
5353 West Dartmouth Avenue
Suite 504-A

Denver CO 80227
map icon map icon
Aurora Office
14111 E. Alameda Ave.
Suite 303

Aurora Colorado 80012